Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Where the idea came from . . . .

An experiment to develop and employ mobile technologies for teaching and learning (or. . . . how I fell in love with my iPhone and started to think of the many creative ways I could use it to teach in New York City.)

It's great to be working with Jeremy again on a new project. I retired from the Visual Resources Curator position in Sept. 2009 (and my involvement with accessCeramics ) and just as quickly signed on as Program Leader for the Lewis & Clark College, New York City Off-Campus Program, Fall 2010. "The Contemporary Art of New York City" is the course I will teach in the fall, and having led the NYC program in 2003, I am familiar with all the graffiti art and street art that fills the city. This type of art is certainly contemporary, it is controversial, and a wonderful contrast to the precious and priceless artworks the students will be viewing in the galleries, museums and public venues in the city. It is also art work that lends itself to digital capture, it is often ephemeral, it can be neighborhood based and site-specific, and therefore a great candidate for geo-tagging. I have a lot more study and contemplation to do before I develop the criteria for image gathering and for what I want the final outcome of the project to be. There already exist websites that track the history and neighborhoods of the graffiti of New York City, but they don't involve geo-tagging. Attending the 2010, NITLE Camp (Mobile Track) at DePauw University in July was a big help in exposing me to case studies of wireless pedagogy in the liberal arts. I have a lot to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment